Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Proud to be a Skier Dork


My buddy just sent me this video and it reminds me how fun skiing in a resort can be. This footage is of the front side of Vail Mountain under chair 4 and chair 11. It relates to my earlier posting, "Some days are better inbounds" as it was shot that same day. I can't help but comment on how the skier (eh em, me) sticks all of his landings and the snowboarder (my friend Cody) can't seem to land a single trick. Now, maybe it just wasn't Cody's day or he was camera-shy, however, it reconfirms my belief that it is much easier and more functional to travel on skis regardless if you are skiing in or out of bounds. Snowboarding looks cool and may create an unbelievable sensation when you are making a turn in powder but ultimately, if you are caught in an avalanche, it is difficult to steer yourself to safety. To give my friends credit, when we do venture in the backcountry, they all get on skis (although I think they would use a split board in a second if they could afford it).

My intention is not to turn this into a hater post about snowboarding. Sure, I make comments to my snowboarder buddies referring to them as gays on trays and they quip right back calling me a tele-hippy or skier-dork but it's all in good fun. I have to admit that snowboarders have had a huge influence on my riding and I almost prefer to ride with snowboarders over skiers because of their playful lines and emphasis on freestyle. I am grateful for all that snowboarding has contributed to the sport of skiing and snow sports in general. Without snowboarders we certainly would not have terrain parks or reverse-camber powder skis. However, when you are riding a big avalanche-prone line in the backcountry, I would much prefer to be on a big pair of alpine skis.

Mark Kelley, a certified AIARE (American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education) guide and instructor in both Colorado and Alaska, made a similar comparison between AT (alpine touring) and telemark (free heel) bindings in skiing. He was my instructor when I was training to attain my level one certification with AIARE and I asked Mark why he preferred to lock his heel down after all of his experience skiing in AK? He replied, "because when an avalanche comes, I want to be able to ski away in the most efficient and easiest way possible." He went on to say that he would rarely ever see anyone up in AK use anything other than powder skis with AT bindings. If you are truly a backcountry enthusiast, despite how fun snowboarding and telemarking may be, try to stick to a strong pair of wide skis with a binding that you can lock down. This way you can ensure you will stick that landing, making sure that it is not your last.

No comments:

Post a Comment